This is a sponsored post and all opinions are 100% mine.
Canadian summers are short in Canada, so during these months we love quick getaways without fussing over all the packing and planning. We were recently hosted by Sherkston Shores Resorts to stay several nights and to explore and enjoy their facilities and beaches. Sharing with you what we loved and throwing in a few tips!
The resort has various accommodations available to suit any family. Camp site, RV sites, cabins and cottage rentals. We stayed in a 2-bedroom premium cottage with a large patio, fully equipped kitchen, airconditioned and WiFi strictly for the unit we were staying at.
It was the perfect size cottage for our family of four as it was modern, clean and very cozy. It had everything you needed to prep and cook all three meals, linens were included along with travel size shampoo, conditioner and body lotion which was a nice touch.
- The unit has a shared BBQ Grill available, however you must bring your own charcoal
- If you don’t want to fire up the grill, there is a Boston Pizza on-site as well as a Super Mart on the facility
- Super Mart carries high quality foods and products that I was surprised they even had and I’m hella picky! But because we weren’t prepared at all, I still went the next day to a local super market outside the resort. Expect to drive for 15-20 minutes to a grocery store.
- There is a fire pit in the back which we did not use, but it’s great for those evenings to chill and eat s’mores.
- The cottage rentals are close to each other and if you look out the window, you can look right into your neighbour’s deck. I didn’t mind it and the neighbours were cool.
- Our cottage did not have a dishwasher and although it’s not a showstopper, it’s worth mentioning
- Laundry Mat is also available on-site
There are so many beaches on the resort and the easiest way to get to them is with the golf cart. You can drive and park your cart right on the beach. My recommendation is to secure your spot early. We arrived early afternoon one day and it was packed. Still managed to snag a spot, but I always like having first dibs.
We didn’t get a chance to hang out on all the beaches (because so much to do). Rather, we drove to each one to check them out.
Our fav is Elco Beach. Good vibes, soft sand and the lake was perfect. Quarry Beach is equally beautiful and we had a great time, however the shoreline is covered in rocks and walking into the water was uncomfortable and sometimes painful. The boys loved it either way, but I would highly recommend the whole family wears water shoes if they’re’ going into the lake. Staying on the beach to chill, then you’re good without them.
- Quarry Beach – beach sport rentals for kayaks, paddleboats and canoes
Riding the carts from Birdie Golf Carts. The best form of transportation on the resort and the most memorable according to Maxwell and Brandon. Gets you to your destination and being able to pull up and park on the beach is a win-win. I hate lugging all the beach gear with me, and this was a lifesaver!
- Reserve the golf carts ahead of time. They had sold out when I came to pick mine up and when I wanted to extend my rental for an additional day, they couldn’t because they had rented all carts out.
- Anytime you can, charge the golf carts. Their battery life is 1.5 to 2 hours riding time.
ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT
If you want to switch up the pace and scenery from the beaches, there are other activities to keep the family busy and entertained at any point in the day. Mini putt, skate park and basketball court to name a few.
We had the chance to also chill at the waterpark where the kids played at the splash pads and the big kids (hubby, brother, nephew and sister-in-law) took advantage of the water slides.
In the evening, there was live music for the whole family, we missed out on Chocolate Bar Bingo because the boys were too busy playing at the arcade.
- We went to the water park at 6:00pm because the weather was still hot, and the sun was up. It was perfect because no crowds and barely any lineups. We were told by staff either come first thing in the morning or come around dinner time to avoid the rush.
- Every Saturday evening over the summer, there is fireworks by Quarry Beach around 9:30pm. We were too tired to head out, but from our cottage we had a great view.
It was a great stay at Sherkston Shores Resort and we’d definitely come back! Our family has a huge appreciation for what Ontario offers and I’m looking forward to more staycations and more travel. Stay tuned!